“Fashion has two goals: convenience and love.
And beauty arises when fashion achieves these goals.”
When we are having an outfit sewn for us or are appraising it, our attention is basically drawn to the outer fabric, whereas the inner part of the product and its lining may not be laid that much store by. However, if you do not choose the proper lining fabric, you might end up wearing a gorgeous outfit, which is not highly wearable, though.
Therefore, it is worth specifying the functions of lining fabrics, their main types and characteristics, so that you can successfully choose the suitable option for sewing a particular item-of-clothing in the future.
So, let’s define the lining fabric.
This is a fabric that protects the upper fabric of a finished product from abrasion, moisture and is sewn from the seamy side. The material has a wide range of usage, ranging from sewing dresses to curtains manufacture.
In what way clothes can benefit from lining fabric:
- moisture absorption;
- maintaining the correct shape of the item;
- product sealing;
- giving volume;
- masking the seams and defects of the seamy side.
Lining materials may include both natural and artificial fibers. The choice of the former or the latter will be determined by the type of clothing for which you may want to use the lining.
But the main thing that you need to pay attention to is that a good lining material should be dense enough to hide all the unwanted stitches.
Besides, it is necessary and take into account the lining’s compliance with the following requirements:
- smoothness – to avoid discomfort in case of skin contact;
- the lowest creasing level possible;
- correspondence of quality and cost of lining fabric with the finished product;
- the same shrinkage as of the main fabric (not more than 2%);
- prevention of moisture contact with the main fabric;
- resistance to abrasion;
- high bursting strength of cloth (preferably within 20-30 decanewton) and tensile strength.
Lining material is used for a wide variety of products, nevertheless, it is not suitable for evethything. Take, for example, a party dress or an office suit – it is hard to imagine these outfits without lining. However, in case of sewing light summer dresses, thin blouses, leggings and shorts, it will only occupy space and cause inconvenience.
As we have already dealt with the basic characteristics and requirements of lining materials, it is worth moving on to the question of choosing the proper type of lining.
Type of lining fabrics
They are classified according to the raw material that is part of lining composition. Like many other types of fabric, they have some advantages and disadvantages. Among the most hygroscopic ones, acetate and viscose are distinguished, but for all that water and sweat marks can be left on them. Some of the long-lasting nylon and polyester linings have low absorbency, therefore, they are often used for outerwear only. Woolen products are complemented by viscose lining. Clothes made of artificial materials are complemented by the same lining which contains nylon or polyester.
When sewing stretch dresses, suits and trousers, you should use elastic lining materials, and if it is exactly what you need, check out the Wedding Style online store, the item number is FG009 (COTTONY LINING).
This elastic soft fabric is specially designed to be used in a combination with stretch cloth, as in the finished product it will stretch along with the main material. Elastic lining fabrics also include materials with item numbers FG004 and FG006.
- FG004 (INTERLOCK LINING) – this fabric is matte, falling, soft and very pleasant by touch, which makes the clothing incredibly comfortable. The material is pliant and drapes well. It is used to eliminate the translucency of the underlying tissue. The composition of FG004 is 100% Polyester.
- The analogue of FG004 is FG006 (INTERLOCK LINING) – it is distinguished by its composition (94% POLY 6% SPANDEX), pronounced gloss and a sliding surface, however, it matches the previous material by the rest of the qualities.
- If the product is not elastic, you can safely use a thin antistatic lining with the item number PO5. The material is thin, very light and pleasant for the body. It is an amazing option for sewing wedding dresses, evening gowns, as well as skirts.
Tips for choosing lining fabric
And here are a few more tips for choosing lining fabric:
The lining should be thinner than the main fabric. If the main material of your product is slightly translucent, it is worth choosing a matching lining fabric. Despite this, contrasting combinations are also used sometimes. Then the outfit looks fresh, unusual and extraordinary. The sliding lining is suitable for those who want their clothes to be easy to put on.
Lining fabric is a key and indispensable element of most items-of-clothing. It can become the basic factor and key to success during the manufacture of various types of clothing and many more other things.
In our online store you will find the fabric – exactly the one you have been looking for. You can find out more about the materials in the sub-category «Lining fabrics». Our managers are always happy to help you with the selection of fabrics. The only thing you need to do is to contact us by the phone number, which is displayed on the page «Contacts».